Sunday, September 10, 2006

My Own Yarn Fairy


I stopped in my local craft store to purchase the red yarn needed for the Spiderman duplicate stitch in grandson's (almost-finished) afghan. When I got to the register the salesclerk asked if I was a big knitter (Duh, is the sky blue?)? We chatted about knitting, crocheting & cross stitching - thank goodness there was no one in line behind me. She said she had cleared out the odds & ends in her yarn stash with plans to donate it to the store for their classes but the amount that the instructor took didn't put a dent in what she brought. She really didn't want to haul it back home (her husband was soooo happy to have it gone) and would like to gift it to a fellow crafter. She took a quick break & we went to her car. When she opened her trunk I gasped........... we're not talking about a corner stash of yarn - the trunk was full!!!! She said she was embarrassed that over the years she had managed to collect so much & we laughed because of course this was only the odds & ends (1 - 2 skeins) of each color - not her main stash. All I could think was that she certainly had plenty of "Stash Enhancement eXperiences (S.E.X.) over the years. I was proud of myself - I showed great constraint - I did not take all the yarn (to her disappointment) but I've added significantly to my own stash. To celebrate this random act of kindness from the Yarn Fairy I am taking a cue from Renee and setting a goal to make 30 knitted/crocheted caps for newborns for Save the Children's Caps to the Capital Project . I'm tagging each cap with both my name & my yarn fairy's name - without her there'd be no stash.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow! I came onto your site, while looking at my stats––I am undone!

I hate to sound ignorant, but this is the first time I have seen this many images of us in cross stitch in my life! You are also blessed in your patience. I would love to do needlepoint for a change of pace, but I still have so much knitting to finish.

You know, there is computer softwear that allows you to transfer photographs into cross stitch designs. Then you could really bust out with our images.

Anonymous said...

What a wonderful intention. Have fun knitting. Ann.

Anonymous said...

LOL!! As I waited in the car...I knew you were up to something!!! Deb take 15 mins in Michael's!? How'd I fall for that!!! LOL!!

~*J*~

Pyo said...

Whaou! This is such a nice story, I envy your luck to stumble upon a stash fairy!

By the way, I found your blog through Black purl magazine, you were featured blog of the week (congratulations!), I'm not a cross-stitcher but I think your work is wonderful!